Women Ministries Team
"Covenant Women Ministries exists to nurture, strengthen, and encourage women in their faith walk with Jesus, through various ministries, so they may effectively serve in their families, church, and communities." Mission Statement adopted fall 2004
Greetings! Women Ministries has been a vital part of the Evangelical Covenant Church for the past 90 years both locally and abroad. God has given women from the beginning of time opportunities to be involved in different aspects of ministry and that still holds true today.
Over time, women's roles and needs within their home, church, and community have changed greatly. Here at the Evangelical Covenant Church of Pomeroy, through Women's Ministry, we strive to meet the challenges to help women define their roles and meet their needs as single women, wives, mothers, grandmothers, friends, sisters in Christ, and neighbors. Check out the "Women Ministries" section under "Get Involved" to see just a few of the many ministries we currently offer to accomplish this task.
Children and Youth Ministries Team
The mission of the Children and Youth Ministry Team is to provide Biblically-based ministries so the children, youth, and college students of our church and community may experience the love of God and of His people and be challenged to live as disciples of Jesus Christ.
Our ministry team seeks to provide opportunities so each child will:
Learn that God loves each one of us.
Learn that the Bible is the Word of God.
Come to know Jesus as their personal Savior and Lord.
Desire to obey and serve Jesus Christ.
Adult Ministries Team
"As a ministry team we exist to encourage spiritual growth that is life changing in the adult members of the congregation through Sunday School classes, small group studies, and an environment that cultivates a deeper relationship with Christ and one another."
Worship and Music Team
Our mission statement--"The purpose of the Worship and Music ministry team is to create authentic worship times that reflect the need of all, so we can together glorify God and grow in His grace."
Our team, along with the pastor, plans meaningful worship services and coordinates the choir and special music. We desire to create a blend of music, through praise and worship teams, hymn singing and other music, that minister to the Lord through each person's participation. Planning of special events (Christmas and Easter) is an exciting part of the life of the team, too. Contemporary dance and a drama team are areas needing to be developed in the future. The team also works with the Worship Technology team to provide sound and media support for worship services, sharing both images and lyrics. Finally, it coordinates the Communion schedule and informs the team leaders of the times each team is needed to serve.
Praise the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens. Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness. Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute, praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord.
--Psalm 150 NIV
"May worship of the Lord truly be our heartfelt desire."
The mission of the Properties Ministry Team is to present the church, parsonage, and grounds in a way that is pleasing to God and to those who worship here.
The Properties Team maintains the physical aspects of the church building, the parsonage, grounds, and parking area. We hire the janitorial work year round, and the mowing of the lawn in the summer. many volunteers assist in things such as flower beds, tree and shrub trimming, and snow removal in the winter.
The church is on one level and is handicap accessible.
We have beautiful new playground equipment that kids of many ages can enjoy. We are blessed with quite a few young children coming to the church.
Outreach and Inclusion Team
The Outreach and Inclusion ministry team is committed to help equip our congregation for outreach ministry and to foster and implement ways to become a genuinely inviting and inclusive church.
An Outreach and Inclusion ministry team member might:
- Greet people arriving for Sunday School and point visitors in the direction of appropriate Sunday School classes for each of their family members
- Be aware of visitors to our church and make a special effort to welcome them and introduce them to others
- Write notes to visitors to our church
- Help develop "promotional" materials for our church
- Seek out ways to effectively advertise some of our church's special events and programs through media such as radio, newspaper, and the internet
- Help in seeking out members of our congregation to be greeters before church
- Plan special outreach events
- Seek to develop a sensitivity for the needs of those in our surrounding communities and a sense of how God is calling us to meet those needs
- Seeking God's guidance in prayer for what He would have us do with the talents and resources we have available in our congregation
Projects over the past couple of years have been:
- Initiated the use of "pew rosters" to help recognize visitors and those who may wish further information about our church and/or be interested in membership
- Developed note cards to send to visitors and took turns sending out these follow-up cards
- Promoted special Mother's Day and Father's Day services and provided gifts for these occasions
- Assisted in an Inquirer's class for people interested in information/membership
- Developed and produced a brochure promoting our church and another highlighting our ministry teams
Goals for the future include:
Our goal is that our church family would be known in the area as a people who strive to communicate the love and compassion of our Lord Jesus Christ in everything we do.
- Exploring ways our church can best be of service in reaching out to those in need in our local area
- Raising awareness of need for "Compassion and Justice Ministries" by studying the curriculum "What Does the Lord Require?" and brainstorming ways this or other materials might be of use in helping our church define our own "Compassion and Justice Ministry"
- Hosting outreach events such as concerts, speakers, family fun nights, etc.
- Making our church's presence known in creative ways at community events
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." James 1:22 NIV
Missions and Benevolence Team
"The Missions and Benevolence Ministry Team exists to reach out and help others here and around the world to know Christ by creating and increasing awareness within our congregations for our supported mission families, for funding mission projects, and for short-term mission opportunities both here and abroad."
Fellowship and Hospitality Team
The Fellowship and Hospitality Ministry Team plans special events such as after church coffee fellowship, housewarmings, skating and bowling parties, 4th of July picnic, and Christmas smorgasbord. These events give both long-time members and newcomers a chance to get to know one another and enjoy Christian fellowship.
After church we have a time of fellowship with hot and cool drinks and usually some sort of snack. Everyone is invited to stay and enjoy the time to sit and visit with one another. This time gives us all an opportunity to grow closer together as a church family and allows us to welcome newcomers in a more personal way.
Housewarmings are a way to welcome newcomers to the church and find out more about them. It is a time of fellowship, food, and fun.